With the uncertainty going on right now, a little warm, chewy, comfort food is always welcome. And what’s better than some old fashion sugar cookies! This recipe is quick, easy, and because most of the ingredients are household staples, it shouldn’t require a trip to the store.
Nothing could be simpler than this recipe, with its quick clean up, fast prep, and short cooking time. Plus, it’s perfect for getting the kids involved. Just mix, roll and bake!
Classic, Chewy Sugar Cookie
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Total Time 25 mins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or coat with baking spray).
2. In a large bowl with a standing mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
3. Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract; beat until combined.
4. Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl every now and again.
5. Roll dough into 1″ balls and roll in sugar.
6. Place on baking sheet, about 2″ apart. Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until cookies have set.
7. Allow to cool.
Feel free to frost them or cover them with a glaze, if desired